The purpose of the HealthPoint Health Scholars Program is to provide exposure, opportunity and mentorship to high school students interested in a career in healthcare, who belong to underrepresented groups in health and medicine.
HealthPoint Health Scholars
Health Scholars Program Description
The Health Scholars Program is a collaboration between HealthPoint and its school-based clinics. The Health Scholars Program aims to introduce healthcare to underrepresented sophomores and juniors who express interest in health and medicine. The program seeks to inspire students to pursue careers in health, instill confidence in them, and provide them with guidance and mentorship for their futures.
The program aims to achieve these goals through cooperative, hands-on learning sessions and through clinical shadowing.
In the cooperative learning sessions, Health Scholars have opportunities to learn skills such as: taking vital signs, administering vaccines, performing physical exams, using ultrasound machines, suturing wounds, and writing resumes. The cooperative learning sessions also include topics such as: Basic Life Support, public health and preventative medicine, mental health, anatomy, medical ethics, medical advocacy, and financing careers in medicine.
In the shadowing sessions, Health Scholars have opportunities to follow physicians, nurse practitioners, dentists and other health professionals of their choosing to see how clinical care is practiced.
Students should be…
• A sophomore or junior in high school
• Be in academic good standing (GPA of 2.0 or higher)
• Fully vaccinated against COVID-19
• Up-to-date vaccination against the flu
• Be able to commit to two, 2-hour sessions per month from December through June. One session each month will be at HealthPoint Renton clinic (200 S 2nd St, Renton, 98057) shadowing a healthcare professional (you choose the time and day). The other session each month will be hands-on learning, based at Renton High School, and be on a Thursday from 3:00 – 5:00 pm.
• Be able to maintain confidentiality. There will be a training session about patient confidentiality at the beginning of the program
• Receive approval from parent/guardian to participate
Applications for the 2023 – 2024 academic year are now open. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application. Applications are due October 20, 2023.
For more information about the Health Scholars Program, or if you have any questions, please contact us at HealthScholars@healthpointchc.org